Monday, January 7, 2013

removing the body

so while i was cleaning up the floor pans with a wire brush on the high speed grinder i decided that it would be a lot easier if i didn't have the body on the car.  so i sort of got side tracked and decided to see how hard it would be to take the body off.  I started removing bolts and decided it wouldn't be that bad.  Once i got all the bolts removed and the hoses/wires disconnected i tried lifting it up on my own.  It didn't seem too heavy.  The whole car only weighs ~1700lbs so i figured the body alone can't weigh that much.  So anyway, I went about building a stand to set the body on so i could wheel it around and put it over the top of the chassis when i'm not working on it.  I got the stand built on saturday and recruited some help on sunday to lift the body off.  I figured if i could lift half of the body four people could lift the whole body.  That was a poor assumption.  The body was much heavier and difficult to lift than i thought.  Although the four of us did manage to get the car put on the stand, it was pretty sketchy.  In the end, nobody got hurt and we didn't drop anything.  A big thanks to Jarrod, Jared, and Curtis for the manpower!

So anyway, here is the stand:

And here is the car on the stand over the top of the chassis:
(note the additional gussets that got added after the fact for some additional strength)

As of this morning I have not heard any loud crashes so i'm pretty sure it's still standing.

No comments:

Post a Comment